Thursday, February 17, 2011

How He Loves or How He Gives?


My prayer is that I not only grasp His love for me when I see what He's placed right in front of me as a gift..but that I grasp the love knowing that it's the love in itself that is the biggest gift (only one I truly need) and He is completely worthy of my praise and affection whether or not He gives anything extra. His love for me is not based on what He gives me. He is giving me love constantly by being present and choosing to live in me. 

Sometimes it's harder to find our love for God even when He's not giving us good things or what we want in the time that we want them. But my prayer is that I love Him always, knowing that He would still be perfect even if He didn't do anything for me. He would still be perfect because I don't deserve the greatness He shows me and the abundant life He gives me. His love for me is not based on what He gives me or even what He does for me. He loves me perfectly, He could never love me any more or less.

However...He gave me something so awesome yesterday and this is what happened before I started thinking about all this business..  I was listening to How He Loves and driving home..the weather was gorgeous..and there was this group of birds flying around and I swear they were dancing to my music. to His music.. They flew slowly but together for 4 counts. For the next 4 counts the black birds flapped their wings with white underneath, so quickly it looked like glitter! This happened twice in a row and then they flew off into the sun. It was so awesome! Especially to the song How He Loves.
Then last night at youth we were singing songs about His love and I just wanted to thank God for everything. so I not only thanked Him for what He has given me, but for what He takes from me. 

Another thought important to me came up from that..
He takes bad things from us, but sometimes we want those things, things that are not good for us. And often when we don't get it, we'll begin to ignore God to chase after it. What I want to do is run to God, ask Him why and just remember that I am supposed to obey Him and THEN know I can get what I ask for (1 John 3:22) because when we're close to God like that we're just not going to desire things He does not.
Addicted to Love by Florence + the Machine just came on :) yes I am. 

I'm starting to catch more about what His glory means..how incredible it is and beyond us it is. maybe one day I can write about it even though there are no words. But just if we think about His unfathomable glory it should not disappoint us when things don't come out our way. 

Ah, here we  go..
1 Chronicles 16:23-27 (msg translation)
Sing to God, everyone and everything! Get out his salvation news every day! Publish his glory among the godless nations, his wonders to all races and religions. And why? Because God is great--well worthy of praising! No god or goddess comes close to honor. All the popular gods are stuff and nonsense, but God MADE the cosmos! Splendor and majesty flow out of him, strength and joy fill his place.

2 Corinthians 6:10 (also msg)
Our hearts ache, but we always have joy. We are poor, but we give spiritual riches to others. We own nothing, and yet we have everything.

Be joyful in all circumstances, because there is reason to. There's actually no reason NOT to! 
And I could talk about joy forever but this is why I'm a dancer. 

Favorite song right now: Something In the Water ~ Brooke Fraser
I think I'll create a dance to that today..

3 comments:

  1. I want to be like you when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Ivy, I am working on using the human nature model of Equity Theory to contrast with the Grace model and show how the "I" is replaced by Christ. More to come :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, if you learn at such an age that how God loves us has nothing to do with how "human eyes" view a circumstance. The "blessings and curses" theology posits that when our circumstances are favorable to us thru our understanding then God is for us and vice versa. As U say, the truth is that quite often what we deem unfavorable is in fact the perfect way for God to love us by not letting us have anything that we desire more than we desire Him. That's love, not wrath!!

    ReplyDelete